Monday, July 04, 2005

Happy Birthday, America


I salute the men and women, past and present, who have served this great nation through its armed forces, government offices, and elected offices. I say, "Happy Birthday, America!" and honor our founding fathers.
The United States of America is indeed the greatest nation on Earth. We may be split down party lines most of the time. There's red states and blue states, but together, we're Americans. Let us never forget we are one nation, under God.
Take time today to thank God for our freedoms, our prosperity, and our rights to pursue whatever we want. My father always told me, "This is America. You can be whoever or whatever you want. If you want to be the President of the United States, you can be. Nothing except yourself and your beliefs will keep you from your dreams. Don't stop dreaming...and dream big." That's what America is all about.
I'm proud to be an American. Not a Mexican-American, a Hispanic-American, or a latino. I am an American, born on U.S. soil; the son, grandson, and great-grandson of U.S. servicemen. I also proudly served my country as a young man.
Don't let the press talk you into believing we are a divided nation. Attack our soil and you will see a nation unite and stand up to fight faster than you can blow yourself up. We may not all agree with each other politically, doctrinally, or spiritually, but if you attack our sacred grounds, it will not be forgotten. We WILL kick your ass. Then we'll rebuild your country with U.S. contractors. So what? We're not perfect, but we are...The GREATEST NATION ON GOD'S EARTH.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, Pauly! What a country! And why must we divide ourselves with hyphens?

I appreciate your comments on my blog about President Bush's pending Supreme Court nomination, and I'm sorry to say that I know you are right in that regardless of whom the President nominates, there will be something wrong. Isn't sad that the Dems seem so intent on "destroying" a lame duck president?

Of course I know they're looking at 2006 and narrowing, if not eliminating the Republican majority, so looking to embarrass the president is all that's left. Unfortunately, it will be that way as long as people keep re-electing these folks.

Should the president participate in this "conference" that the Dems want before he offers a nomination? Probably, but only so that the Dems can at least believe that their input is being considered. Politics, and not governance unfortunately, will be the play of the day.

However, in line with your Independence Day theme, that's part of what makes this country great. We need the folks who disagree to get their words in. I just wish their words didn't have to be so darn nasty.

Christ's peace to you, friend.

Michael

B.S. said...

You should embrace your culture, and not just blow it off.

Good day sir.

20mileview.blogspot.com said...

I do embrace my culture...I'm an American. And I happen to enjoy tortillas (I can even make them), barbacoa, mole, HOT salsa (the food, not the dance), tamales.... but you know what? I also like curry, pho, baked bananas, calamari, sushi, matzo ball soup, schnitzel, abondigas, pizza, and hot dogs right off the grill... my culture... the US of A. Diversity makes us great, the American culture brought us all here. But I was born here, not Mexico. I speak flawless English, but I am fluent in Spanish as well. I speak Spanish when necessary because of geography. There are too many immigrants in my state that are too lazy to learn the language that will help them out of the poverty that they are in.
I might mention that my mother was born in Torreon, Mexico, came over with her parents when she was a toddler, learned English, got her education, became a U.S. citizen, and encouraged us to be proud of our American heritage.
Embrace my culture? I do... I am proud to be an American. Identifying myself with any other group is divisive and racist. When I ran for office, I refused LULAC support. I am NOT a member of the Hispanic Chamber of Comerce or the Pan-American Golf Association. I don't celebrate Cinco de Mayo, hang a Mexican flag in my car, or give someone my business because of thier skin color or affiliation...Just my opinion, I'm entitled to it...after all, it's a free country, right?

Anonymous said...

i'm sorry, but i think it is incredibly rude to proclaim that america is the greatest nation on earth.

it's people like you, who degrade everyone else on this earth, who give america a bad name.

20mileview.blogspot.com said...

You can always move where you think it might be better. Maybe to another place where you have the freedom to anonomously criticize so freely.