Friday, July 15, 2005

It's time for a new church

Since Miss June died, we now have to make a decision about church. I have had the desire to begin a church here in Temple, but I'm not quite sure what we are going to do, or how to go about it. I'm not a pastor at heart, that's not really one of my ministry gifts, but I like to teach and I feel comfortable preaching. Actually, I feel most comfortable when I am facilitating a discussion.
I don't have all the answers, and I don't want to be the center of the church meeting. I believe that when a group of believers meets it is for the encouragement of the entire group. It's not just about gathering in pews to hear a professional minister deliver a riveting sermon (or often, a boring one.) I think that people should bring their ministry gifts to the meeting with them with the intent of using them. So in our services, if someone can sing, I let them sing. If someone has another or better idea about what I am teaching, I let them share. And if someone has the gift of prophecy, they can prophesy.
So, if you pray, I'm asking the Lord for some direction here... I think there are a bunch of people that are virtually "untouched" by Christianity. I mean the type of Christianity that doesn't care what side of town you live on, what you wear to church, or if you have piercings, tattoos, or like to drink beer. Hell, I'm open to having a keg and fire up the smoker after church if I can just show Christ's love to someone who needs it. Ever hear a bunch of people singing Amazing Grace after a few beers?
I don't know what exactly we're going to do. I guess that's what's so great about serving God and waiting for Him to answer.... Life's always a surprise.

No comments: