Sunday, May 22, 2005

Yesterday's Big Adventure.

My sister-in-law and her boyfriend were spared their lives yesterday afternoon. We took a trip out in the country to go to a fish fry at my brother-in--law's (my wife's brother) house. I was driving ahead of my sister-in-law's car. Her boyfriend was driving, and probably a little too close to me. I was kicking up a considerable amount of dust, so thick I could not see him in my rear-view mirror. 2 1/2 miles down a gravel road, the road suddenly took a 90 degree turn to the right. I had slowed enough to negotiate the turn, but there was another car that had come out of the turn first, coming toward us, that was also kicking up a lot of dust. Well, as soon as I made that turn, I thought to look in my rear-view mirror and saw boyfriend skidding toward the outside bank and watched their car flip over on its roof. I immediately turned around and as I approached the car was yelling, "Are you guys OK?" I went to the driver's side first, but knew I could not open the door and could not see the boyfriend. My wife was on the phone with 911 as I ran around to the other side of the car where I saw my sister-in-law hanging upside down, still in her seatbelt. I smelled the beer that was in the back seat that had broken when the car flipped. Still no response from them. I ran to my car to get a knife I keep in there for just such an emergency, in case I needed to cut the seat belt. When I got back to their car, sissy was saying she was OK, and boyfriend was crawling around in the back. We were able to open the rear passenger door and get them both out. The car was totaled, but both of them were fine. Neither one of them even had a scratch.
It took DPS 45 minutes to get there, and the wrecker another 30. After 2 hours in 100 degree heat, the drama was over. It was a long trip home last night, since we had to drive them back to Killeen, 30 miles west of where we live, them double back to Temple.
I wonder if they realize what a wake up call they just had. I will have to talk to them about that. They could have easily been going a little faster, and had a more violent flip. They could have easily been killed. To them it was just another thing... the 5th accident they've been involved in this year. I'm beginning to wonder what the hell they're doing.
Life is short. I don't know how many days I have left here on this earth, but a few weeks ago, I felt the Lord whisper to me that very thing...life is short. I need to be living my life as if today is my last day. Death takes some suddenly...like a thief in the night. I'm not scared to die, and I am looking forward to an eternity with Jesus, but frankly, I'm not ready just yet. I'd like to stick around here a while longer. Nevertheless, I need to be ready, today could be my last day.
Pray for me that I can speak softly, but firmly to my sister-in-law and her boyfriend. Pray for me that I can give them the gospel message in a way they will understand and receive it. And pray for me that I will continue to live out this life on purpose.

No comments: